Wednesday, October 01, 2008 Haunt Review: Dungeon of Doom - Red Oak, TX

I went to Dungeon of Doom on Saturday September 27th for their opening night. I’ll start off by saying that I was already a fan of the Dungeon. I was sad to hear it was closing, then overjoyed that it found a new home with Reindeer Manor & 13 Street Morgue. It is a massive improvement over Uncle Stinky’s Playground. I miss the old location in the Arlington museum because of the multi-levels & stairwells. But they have done a great job working with a single level, especially in the short time they had to put the Dungeon back together.

The line was short and I got to go through this haunt alone, which I live for. I love the movie theme of this haunt. The Silent Hill area was so awesome. The nurse was so chaotic & contorted, banging herself into the walls. I was mesmerized by her and had to kind of hang there for a while just to watch her. The Psycho scene was very nice too. I especially loved the strobe effect with the layers of bloody shower curtains. I got lost in that for a bit. The Exorcist bit was fun, especially because the crazy priest trying to save me. I was laughing my ass off at that point. That moveable floor really messed me up. I screamed like a little girl as I was tumbling through that corner.

The decor inside was well done. They put in some time to setup some really good themes. Most of the actors did a fantastic job. There was a little bit of timing being off, but I do know that there were some new actors and it was opening night. For it being the first year in a new location, I found this haunt to be a lot of fun and very worthwhile. The price wasn’t bad either, especially if you buy the combo ticket. The walkthrough time was fair when compared to the price. The atmosphere is very dark has great movie themed scenes. I’m sure each year in the new location will get better & better. Some things I’d like to see in the future would be a little more expansion and a few more recognizable scenes, such as Friday the 13th, Halloween, etc…

All in all, I found Dungeon of Doom to be a lot of fun with some good scares and recognizable characters, and would definitely recommend.

I give this haunt a 7/10 rating.

My haunt reviews can also be found at DFWHauntedHouses.com

0 comments: