Monday, February 05, 2007 Geocaching



I recently started Geocaching while out camping. It's a fun little activity where you essentially go treasure hunting with a handheld GPS. You type in the coordinates of the cache you're looking for & then hike to the location. Then it gets tricky. You have to search high & low to find the cache, which may be as small as a film canister or as large as an ammo box. They are usually camouflaged and hidden in all kinds of location like in a hollow tree stumps, under rocks, underwater, or cleverly disguised right in plain sight. So far I've found 5 caches at Cedar Hill State Park. Once you find the cache, you sign the logbook & take or leave an item. Most of the items I've found so far are small trinkets, like hotwheels, plastic bugs, coins, etc... Soon I'll be setting up a couple of my own caches. I'm going to have a generic cache with typical items and I also want to setup a couple of themed caches. One is going to be a Halloween/Friday the 13th themed cache with fun items like spider rings, glowsticks, fake blood, etc.. Then I want to setup a Star Wars themed cache with action figures, trading cards, etc...

I also got a couple of Travel Bug dog tags to place in my caches. Once someone finds them, they will transport them to another cache & log them on the Geocaching website. As these Travel Bugs move around, I will be able to track them on the Internet & read people's stories about how they found or placed them.



For more info on geocaching click on the logo above or go to www.geocaching.com




0 comments: